To make your resume stand out, you need to present knowledge and experience with emphases on a specific system what is the job's network environment (Windows, Unix, NetWare, etc). In general, you should try to present the following skills and experience in resume:
- Operating systems (Windows, Unix, Linux, NetWare, etc)
- Server hardware, network wiring and devices (switches, routers, hubs, etc)
- Network planning and design
- Network software setup, upgrade, configuration
- Network protocols (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, etc)
- Network security
- Network integration with database and application systems
- Network monitoring and performance tuning
- Network troubleshooting (connection, authentication, etc.)
- Internet and email systems management
The following network administrator resume example presents expertise in Microsoft platform.
Network Administrator Resume Sample
Walter T. SmithSUMMARY
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
• Extensive experience in network administration with Microsoft 2000 and XP server platform and Unix server environment.
• In-depth knowledge and experience in enterprise network systems planning, design, configuration, and management.
• Effective network troubleshooting and problem solving skills with software, server, and hardware devices.
• Solid skills in network integration with database systems, web server, application server, and desktop applications.
• Experience in network security and firewall configuration.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and user support experience.
Network Administrator 5/2000 – Present
Ohio Valley Regional Planning Council, Belpre, OH
• Planned and designed the organization's LAN network expansion. Upgraded and configured Microsoft Window server and installed network routers, cabling, and firewall.
• Responsible for network management including network performance tuning, security monitoring, file server backup, and email server administration.
• Worked with the management team to develop security policies and conducted network systems security auditing.
• Provide technical support for application systems integration with database server and application.
PC Support Technician 9/1998 – 5/2000
Ohio Valley Computer Services, Belpre , OH
• Provided on-site technical support for end users' PC and network in city and county government agencies.
• Responsible for operating system and desktop software installation, PC upgrading, and network troubleshooting.
• Worked on a project for planning and implementing TCP/IP network for Wood County's Child Support Agency.
• Windows NT, 2000, and XP server, active directory, and IIS.
• Sun Unix, Linux, and Novell NetWare.
• LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, IPX/SPX.
• Network cabling and hardware testing.
• Microsoft Outlook 2000 and Microsoft Office Suite.
• Visual Basic, VBScript, Perl, SQL
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND CERTIFICATIONS
• MCSE - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
• MCP - Microsoft Certified Professional
• Oracle Server Performance Tuning - Oracle University
• B.S. in Chemistry, Ohio University, Anthen, OH