The key to make your resume stand out from the crowd is to present multiple skills with confidence. Don't feel hesitate to throw in the latest and hottest stuff. If you know the technology requirements of the immediate project assignment of the position, make your resume have an emphasis on it.
Otherwise present the industry standard technologies as your core skill set. For instance, it cannot go wrong by having Java EE and .NET as your core skills for developer positions; and present yourself as an Oracle or SQL Server expert can certainly help you get a database consulting job.
In general, IT consulting assignments are among the following areas:
- Software application development
- Software system architecture and design
- OS/network/database software and server hardware upgrading and configuration
- Network administration
- Database administration
- System integration
- COTS implementation
- Data center support
- Telecommunication center support
IT Consultant Resume Sample
David K. ZimmermanSUMMARY
Experienced IT Professional Certified by Oracle, Sun, and Microsoft
• Experienced in enterprise system planning, architecture, design, and development life-cycle.
• Proven expertise in designing and developing web-based systems and e-business solutions using Java/J2EE and .NET technologies.
• Extensive experience in database administration, database design, data modeling, and data warehousing with Oracle, SQL Server, and Sybase.
• Experience in Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) software system integration and implementation.
• Self-motivated team player with excellent communication skills.
• Proven ability to deliver high quality products and services on schedule and under budget.
• Experience in business analysis, project management, and team leadership.
Senior Information Technology Consultant 9/1998 – Present
Altsys Solutions Inc., Monte, CA
• Database Administration: Lead DBA for Oracle Server and Microsoft SQL Server. Manage database instances, monitor server performance, tune the database server and applications, and perform backup and recovery. Provide consulting solutions to various clients in database design, database server configuration, data warehouse implementation, server performance tuning, and application tuning.
• Client/Server Development: Project lead for designing and developing a statewide financial management that were implemented by state government agencies. Analyzed client requirements and wrote technical specifications. Used PowerDesigner case tool to analyze the business logic and design the data model. Built window interfaces with Sybase PowerBuilder. Developed Oracle procedures and packages for implementing business rules and data logic.
• Web-Based Systems: Architect and Designer of the J2EE based web-enabled E-Budget System that provides online budgeting preparation services for the state agencies. Implemented Sybase Enterprise Application Server platform and developed Java Server Pages (JSP) to generate dynamic web contents and reports. Created and deployed components to implement business roles and serve data from Oracle database backend.
• Network & Systems Administration: Worked in a team to design, plan, implement, and support our company’s Windows 2000 server network. Performed LAN and VPN configuration, server monitoring, storage management, account security maintenance, and OS performance tuning.
Database Administrator 1/1997 – 9/1998
Municom Inc., Madera, CA
• Responsible for managing Oracle database instances, server performance tuning, backup and recovery, and troubleshooting in Windows NT and Sun Solaris UNIX platforms. Performed Oracle server software installation, database creation, system configuration and upgrades. Administered Oracle repository in Designer/2000 for data modeling and database design.
• Participated in the company’s business process re-engineering planning and implementation to integrate desktop applications into enterprise-wide distributed client/server system. Developed client/server database applications that are used by municipal governments to analyze, audit, and recover tax revenues. Microsoft Visual Basic and Oracle Developer were used as the development tools.
Programmer Analyst 8/1995 – 1/1997
U.S. Steel Clairton Works, Pittsburgh, PA
• Conducted the architecture, design, development, and testing of custom distributed client/server applications that were implemented in an enterprise-wide environment. Developed a management information system used by operators and supervisors to manage operation data and generate operation reports in a coal mine waste water treatment plant. Developed a chemical laboratory statistical analysis program used by chemists to collect, analyze, and report experimental data.
• Participated in developing the corporate Intranet and Internet using HTML and Peal CGI scripts. Created intranet based reporting system to the management and executive teams for production operation analysis and management decision-making.
• J2EE architecture and design, Java, EJB, Design Patterns, UML, Rational Unified Process
• Microsoft .NET framework, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Visual Studio .NET, C#.NET, ASP.NET
• Enterprise network and security, Microsoft Windows2000 & XP Server, UNIX Sun Solaris and HP-UX, Linux server
• JBuilder, Sybase PowerBuilder, BEA WebLogic, Sybase EA Server, JBoss, Tomcat, Apache Web Server
• Oracle 9i and 10g Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase ASE, Microsoft Access, IBM DB2
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Sun Certified Programmer for Java 2 Platform Certification
• Microsoft Certified Professional (Visual Studio .NET & C#.NET)
• Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional Certification
• Oracle Enterprise DBA Performance and Tuning – Oracle Training Center
• Microsoft Visual Basic Programming – KCS Training Center
• M.S. in Engineering, California State University, Sacramento, CA
• B.S. in Engineering, Eastern Virginia University, Rolling, VA